Safeguarding and Prevent
Safeguarding and Prevent at Devon Studio School
Devon Studio School aims to work in close partnership with parents to support children in every way possible. However, there is a clear responsibility on all schools to ensure they work together with other agencies to safeguard and promote the welfare of all children.
As a result, if concerns are raised within the school, or a child or parent reports a situation involving possible abuse, we are required to refer such matters to the appropriate Children’s Services, in line with Government and Torbay Council policy.
Devon Studio School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Consequently all adults working in School are required to complete a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) Enhanced Police Check.
Prevent is about safeguarding people and communities from the threat of terrorism. Prevent is 1 of the 4 elements of CONTEST, the Government’s counter-terrorism strategy. It aims to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism.
The Prevent strategy:
- Responds to the ideological challenge we face from terrorism and aspects of extremism, and the threat we face from those who promote these views;
- Provides practical help to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure they are given appropriate advice and support; and
- Works with a wide range of sectors (including education, criminal justice, faith, charities, online and health) where there are risks of radicalisation that we need to deal with.
Prevent covers all forms of terrorism and extremism and some aspects of non-violent extremism.
The Home Office works with local authorities, a wide range of government departments, and community organisations to deliver the Prevent strategy. The police also play a significant role in Prevent, in much the same way as they do when taking a preventative approach to other crimes.
Prevent uses a range of measures to challenge extremism including:
- Supporting people who are at risk of being drawn into terrorist or extremist activity;
- Working with and supporting community groups and social enterprise projects who provide services and support to vulnerable people;
- Working with faith groups and institutions to assist them in providing support and guidance to people who may be vulnerable; and
- Supporting local schools, local industry and partner agencies through engagement, advice and training.
At the heart of Prevent is safeguarding children and adults and providing early intervention to protect and divert people away from being drawn into terrorist activity. At Devon Studio School we work with all of our students so they understand extremism and radicalisation and are able to keep themselves save in today’s society. All of our staff are trained in Prevent in order that they can work effectively with students and recognise any signs that a child or their family is or has been radicalised.