Over the last 3 years we have demonstrated considerable success in our Sixth Form and following recent External Reviews I wanted to take the opportunity to tell you about this success in order to ensure that you have all the information available in terms of making the best choice for your child’s next steps.
At Devon Studio School we offer both Health and Social Care, Childcare, and Sport pathways for Sixth Form students. These are based on the Level 3 BTEC and CACHE qualifications that are both equivalent to A-levels and carry with them UCAS points in order to apply for university. However, the pathways we offer do not just lead to university, they can also lead into work and apprenticeships.
How we know we are successful:
- In 2014/15, 64% of our students achieved D/D* (Distinction / Distinction*) high grades in the Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. This has been fully verified following the BTEC Enhanced Confirmation Sampling that took place in April 2016 in which we were praised for our high standards of work.
- All of our current year 13 students are predicted to have positive Value Added, meaning that they are making more progress through their studies than the national average.
- Sixth Form attendance is currently 95.35% showing good commitment to the courses and motivation from our students.
- All students in 2014/15 and 2015/16 cohorts who applied to university have been accepted onto their chosen course at the University of their choice. This includes: Child Nursing at Southampton University, Adult Nursing at Plymouth University, Primary School Teacher Training at Plymouth University, Biomedical Science at University of the West of England, and Radiography at Cardiff University.
- The school runs AS Biology and AS Psychology in order to broaden the curriculum for students. We can also offer AS Chemistry, AS Sociology and AS Mathematics if we have sufficient applications.
Our students are stretched and challenged through extra-curricular activities that we offer, such as First Aid Courses with our Specialist Practice Coaches, Journal Club with Mr. Hall, and Duke of Edinburgh Award with Mr. Nicholson. We feel that our students thrive in our small teaching groups, practical based lessons and individualised learning programmes, but don’t just take our word for it….
“Devon Studio School has given me the opportunity to start a microbiology placement; which has given me the experience of working in a lab. I am now going to university to study Human Biology leading into further study of Biomedical Science.” (Vicky Croker, 2016)
“This course has helped me in deciding my career choice and has given me a fantastic overview of the health sector.” (Elouise Smith, 2016)
“My time at DSS was one of the best times of my life. I had full support from the staff at the school whenever I needed help, without the staff I would not be finishing my first year of university. The school helped me achieve the best grades I could and also helped me grow as a person.” (Jenny Willis, Leaver 2015 and current student of Criminology and Policing Studies at The University of Central England)
“My aspiration has always been to become a nurse and in September this year I am starting my Adult Nursing Degree at Plymouth University.” (Holly Redman, 2016)
“I attended DSS when it 1st opened in 2013. 2 years later I left having achieved the qualifications I had aimed for and received support and encouragement to take a gap year. I booked a one-way flight to Thailand, Australia and New Zealand and had the time of my life. If it wasn’t for me gaining confidence at DSS I’m unsure whether I would have been able to do this.” (Tom Lang, Leaver 2015 and currently employed at Devon Studio School prior to taking up Business Management Apprenticeship with BT)