We are looking to inspire and develop the next generation of motivated and enterprising young people to impact the future success and prosperity of the country's economy. Young people will help to create tomorrow's wealth. They will invent tomorrow's bestselling products. They will build successful organisations that employ thousands of people. School leavers, if they are to take on the challenges that we as a country face, need to be ready for work.
We believe that young people can be better prepared for life in the working world. It is our firm view that young people can and should be ready to work from day one. That is the focus of our new school – Devon Studio School.
Our vision is simple: Devon Studio School is a fast track route into employment and a strong foundation for a successful career.
Please take a moment to read through our website. You will see how our students could help make your enterprises and organisations more successful and ways in which you can get involved.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
If young people are to be ready for work, then they need to have significant exposure to the real world of work.
We want to involve as many employers and businesses working with Devon Studio School as we can.
We believe it both benefits employers, business, services users, patients and students.
Here are some of the ways that we would like to involve you:
Real work is at the core of our students’ learning experience. We are looking for a series of work placements for both individuals or groups of young people aged 14-16. These may take a variety of forms. We are interested in discussing opportunities with businesses and organisations. These could range from one-off placements through to regular placements throughout the year.
We are looking for two days per week work placements for young people aged 16-19. Students can be tasked with looking at specific projects that will both assist local businesses and contribute to significant learning.
Curriculum development and input
While students will study mainstream subjects, a significant part of what they will learn is drawn from real world experience and from the practical application of knowledge.
We are looking for direct organisational and business input into the development of our curriculum. This may involve becoming a member of one of our curriculum development groups. It could involve reviewing curriculum content and contributing case studies to enrich the learning programme. We are also looking for visiting speakers or individuals who can host master classes on a wide range of subjects. Such expert input will both enhance students’ experiences and ensure that our curriculum is relevant, up to date and future-focused.
Direct student support
Business and organisational leaders have vast experience and understanding that can truly inspire young people and transform their outlook.
We are looking for Industry Mentors who can provide business support and real input into students’ learning. While this will require regular and significant time input this will be agreed with mentors through discussion and following interviews with individual students. Your staff will also have the opportunity to gain accredited mentoring qualifications through supporting young professionals.
We are seeking to arrange educational visits to employers’ premises so that students can observe a variety of work processes.
There are a number of sponsorship opportunities for businesses and organisations. These range from sponsoring equipment to awards and training rooms. We are also looking for businesses to sponsor scholarships for students progressing into Higher Education.
Become a member of our Community
As Devon Studio School develops, we aim to create a marketplace where our business alumni can network and develop links with stakeholders.
BENEFITS TO YOUR BUSINESS
We believe that the benefits to business of creating a cohort of young people who are work-ready are enormous.
Here are some of the potential benefits to local business and organisations:
- Students will be ready for work on day one – therefore making a positive impact on your business straight away
- Students will be aware of your business and its demands – by being ready for the specific challenges you face, young people will be able to hit the ground running and add value immediately
- Students will be loyal and committed – creating a committed and motivated workforce with students understanding the culture and values of your business
- Students will be focused on creating value – through project work, young people will already be focused on building capacity, profitability or productiveness. The commercial benefits are potentially enormous
- There would be the opportunity for your own staff to train in mentoring/supervisory skills and gain accreditation for the support they offer to our students
- Student involvement will reduce your recruitment costs – advertising, interviewing, trialling, and taking young people through probationary periods can be expensive. Personal business coaches will ensure the placement process of students is led internally by Devon Studio School, therefore taking the time and strain away from your business
- We will support you – our highly-trained staff will work with you to recruit and select young people most suited to your business. We will work with you to understand your requirements and to match them with the young professionals who we feel will not only support your business but greatly benefit from the opportunity being provided to them
- There will be alternative pathways from Devon Studio School into employment that could involve further learning and development. An example could be a fast track into Apprenticeships, either at 16 or 18, where the graduates would be well prepared for frameworks in Health & Social Care or childcare.